[TowerTalk] Rotator questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator questions
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Wed Jul 16 11:18:05 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:07:55 -0700 "Richard Karlquist"
<richard@karlquist.com> writes:
> My tower project has finally progressed to the
> point that I need to install a rotator.  The
> antenna will be a 4 element steppir Yagi, with
> a wind area of 9 sq ft, 32 foot boom.  I currently
> have the following rotators:
>

> Two rotators stamped "H IV S1 AUG 84" and
> "H IV S1 APR 86" that look like Ham IV (or
> Ham anything) rotators and I am guessing
> the markings indicate Ham IV. The seller at the
> swap meet said (I vaguely remember) at least
> one worked, and maybe the other, or if not,
> it's a parts unit.
>
> A T2X tailtwister controller (I do not have
> any Ham IV controllers).
>
> 1.  Does the T2X controller work with the
> Ham IV rotators?

Yes.

You could have Norm's or Rotordoc overhaul the Ham IV's
for you. However, I wouldn't recommend the Ham IV for
an antenna with a 32' boom, particularly if the Ham IV
has been disassembled for overhaul or repair. Every time
the Ham IV is disassembled, little pieces of aluminum
are removed from the top housing when the four
self-tapping screws, which hold the housings together,
are removed. When the screws are reinstalled, they
don't have the same holding strength as when they were
initially installed. Some can back out, and the remaining
ones will shear off. Loctite red or blue won't prevent
this problem.

Maybe you can work a deal with Norm's or Rotordoc to
trade in all of your rotors for an overhauled T2X. The
T2X has real nuts and bolts to hold the two halves of
the rotor together.

As an alternative, you can use a brand-new upper housing
when the Ham IV is overhauled. I think the T2X solution
is better, though.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA