[TowerTalk] Positioning Belt needed...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Positioning Belt needed...
From: regates@kingwoodcable.com (Bob Gates)
Date: Sat Jul 19 12:18:51 2003
Bill-
A also would not use a carabineer to secure myself to the tower.  The wrong move
and a carabineer can be opened and released.  I think you would be better off
with a locking snap shackle available at most marine supply houses, notably West
Marine, or on the internet.  They require a proactive action on your part to
release.  You can also make a harness out of rope, like mountain climbers do, by
wrapping several turns around your waist, then pass under your crotch on the
left side of you-know what, back around the waist lines and then back under the
crotch on the right side and back up to the waist turns.  It's really fairly
comfortable to wear.

Bob, KG7KW

  > I use a simple loop of 3/8" rope tied around my waist with a carabiner on
  > one end.

  Bill,
  You are most likely aware of this, but:
  I sure hope you're using an appropriate knot for your loop!
  A non-tighting knot (like a Bowline) is what you need.

  The bad news is that a tighting type of loop can make you really miserable
  for the rest of your life if you are hanging there and can't get out of it
  quickly.
  The good news is that the rest of your life probably won't cover much of a
  time span in that situation!

  A really tight noose around your midsection will suffocate you just as surely
  as if it were around your neck !!!!!!!!!!    AND IT REALLY HURTS.

  Take care - Be safe - 73,
  Don - K4BEV