[TowerTalk] Carabiners

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Carabiners
From: k1ir@designet.com (Jim Idelson)
Date: Sat Jul 19 23:03:00 2003
First of all, the proper spelling is "Carabiners".

Second, there are all kinds of carabiners. The most important categories for us
to consider are Locking and Non-Locking carabiners.

REI and a zillion other places sell these items. Here is an example of a
non-locking type, probably similar to the types being discussed here on
TowerTalk this week.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=11353416&storeId=8000&;
catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

The next unit, referenced below, is a locking type. In fact it is the type I
use with my Petzl safety belt. I have six of them. These locking carabiners
can't be accidentally unclipped. And, it is easy to learn to operate them. I
don't even have to think about twisting the locking mechanism at all.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=6222485&storeId=8000&c
atalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

I suggest using Non-Locking carabiners for equipment, antennas, other stuff.
Use Locking types for your own safety.

73,

Jim K1IR