[TowerTalk] BALANCED LINE USING COAX RESULTS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BALANCED LINE USING COAX RESULTS
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Tue Jul 29 20:36:40 2003
Someone get the duct tape my head is about to explode!

This sounds like a good way to have a balanced feed system with no
baluns to go zap...but...it looks like the verdict is still out.

I have one situation where this might be interesting to me personally...
feeding a 160 meter dipole/inverted vee which is suspended pretty high
up - the though of having to keep open wire line away from the tower is
a nightmare... I have been feeding it with coax without a balun at the
top  and wonder if two runs of relatively inexpensive coax like RG8X
paired up would be an improvement.  I think the 8X should handle 1500W
the okay and if I place a tuner at the base of the tower I can have a
short coax run into the shack/six pack.

Is this worth the effort? I like the idea of minimizing noise pickup
whenever possible and with several broadcast sites near the station I am
wondering if this would help.

IF YOU HAVE DONE THIS, let's hear form you... the theorists are giving
me a headache!  Lets talk actual results!

Thanks,

Jim, K4OJ