[TowerTalk] MA-550 Tubular Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MA-550 Tubular Tower
From: richard@karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Wed Jul 30 11:42:18 2003
Stiffness (not strength) of a tube of a
given wall thickness is roughly proportional
to the *cube* of the diameter.  A pipe tower
only 2 inches in diameter for the top 20 feet
is nowhere near as stiff as any kind of tower
that is 12 inches or more wide.  This is simply
physics.

I have an MA-550 and you should have seen it
move during the 1989 earthquake!  At least
it stayed up.

Rick N6RK

(Note:  the actual stiffness coefficient is the
outer diameter to the 4th power minus the
inner diameter to the 4th power)