[TowerTalk] hoist rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] hoist rope
From: jimjarvis@comcast.net (Jim Jarvis)
Date: Sat Aug 2 08:48:12 2003
Rich...

I would not use anything smaller than 1/2 inch dacron.
A little stretch in it...and there will be 1-2%...won't
hurt any.

Trying to work with smaller diameter lines is both hard
on the hands, and will exhibit more stretch.

Depending on length, marine store may be the place to go.
Alternately, I would suggest a google search for rope
sources.  I used to use 'the ropeman', but don't think
he's in business any longer.

For anyone unclear as to rope types, nylon has too much
stretch and polypropylene is not safe, for a variety of
reasons, which I won't go into here. Woven Dacron line works well.

Compound ropes, with kevlar core and dacron sheathing
provide low stretch and high abrasion resistance; but they'll
cost you an arm and a leg.

Jim/n2ea