[TowerTalk] Re: Help with design of Tilt over fixture

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Help with design of Tilt over fixture
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz (zl1aih@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Mon Aug 4 04:07:05 2003
Hi Jeff,
I have a Tri-Ex H-354, from an SK estate.   With
the tower was a permanent gin-pole, 20' of 3"
galv pipe and a socket welded to a 3" x 3" angle
which I included in the concrete bolt pattern for
the triangular base plate.   The gin-pole has a
pulley in a bracket at the top, to carry a wire
rope from the nested tower to either a winch ((or
in my case a tractor, although this is overkill - I
can pull the nested tower upright by hand with
double purchase blocks - I just use the tractor
because it's easy and it's a movable anchor
point.)   Much of this info is in the Tri-Ex Tower
operational instruction sheet - I can mail it to
you if needed
The gin-pole is guyed to the tower's screw
anchors.
When nested and lowered, the tower is
supported by a wooden "H" made of 4" x 4"
members, which allows the Force 12 C4 10
meter director to just clear the ground, and
provides safe support for an extension ladder to
enable access to the feed points.
If you are stuck with this type of tower, then the
permanent gin-pole makes maintenance easy.

With hindsight, considering the height
restrictions (60' max, without suffering the
attention of the district council eco-nazis) I
should have gone for a 50' self-supporting tilt-
over which would have cost me about 2/3rds the
dollars spent on a 30-year old 354.
My XYL tells me she would have been happy
with 3 or 4 tilt-overs - much better than lattice
towers and multiple guy wires and anchors.
Now she tells me.
73,
Ken ZL1AIH