[TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broadband over Power Line Video
From: ersmar@comcast.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Wed Aug 6 22:33:58 2003
Chris et al:

     Using fiber- (fibre?-) optic cable on powerlines is not new.  The Brits
developed this technology in the early 80's (CEGB deployed it first), and in
1981 Hydro Quebec were the first folks on this side of the pond to install
it.  (The product was called Fibral and was manufactured by BICC Ltd.)  I
did some work with this same stuff around that same time
(http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/ne
tahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=4,651,019.WKU.&OS=PN/
4,651,019&RS=PN/4,651,019 ).

     But to bring this stuff to the front door of every residence is a big
deal.  The fiber-optic cable you describe (for use on HV transmission
lines), is not typically part of a residential power distribution line -
it's too big and expen$ive (the stuff I used was 12 mm / half inch in
diameter and included an outer layer of steel wires.)  But many power
companies (my former employer included) are today supplying commercial
(large customers) telephony and data services via these conductors.

     Today it's cheaper for the telcos and cable companies, rather than the
electric companies, to install fiber to your curb (not yet fully into your
home, but they're getting closer.)  Or to use what they already have - their
own cable TV (cable modems) or telephone lines (DSL modems) that already
enter your house.  Hence the motivation for the power folks to use what THEY
already have - power wiring - as their medium for Internet access.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F