[TowerTalk] Re: (Tower Talk) Unusual Tri-band Performance ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: (Tower Talk) Unusual Tri-band Performance ??
From: rmoodyg@bellsouth.net (Richard M. Gillingham)
Date: Sun Aug 10 00:23:23 2003
At the Polyphaser web site Engineering notes:
"The tower ground system and the single point ground system must be
interconnected. This interconnection should be below grade and with a bare low
inductance conductor. The coax cable shield must not be the only
interconnection between ground systems." My question is Does this imply I run a
ground lead directly from my grounding grid at the tower 120 ft. to the
entrance panel and connect that with my electrical single point ground, then
additional ground connection to the ground rod located at the back of my
equipment? Very confused and can't seem to know if I will create a loop where
all potentials will not rise and fall at the same time if I have a direct hit.
Right now I'm installing my US Tower TMM-433 approximately 120 feet from the
garage entrance and see a need to create an entrance panel for the 1/2 hard
line feeding the antenna at the tower. I plan to ground the hard line at the
top of the first tower section and at the base, this will be tied to three
ground rods around the outside of the tower form all interconnected by cadweld
one shots. But does the technical article call for an additional ground line
run over 100' to my entrance panel also. The plan is to ground the entrance
panel to a ground rod at the feed line entrance to the shack and have this tied
to the electrical single point grounding grid in the home. Somewhere I feel I'm
missing the validity of having a "single point ground" because of all the
measures I'm planning on taking, or just not experienced with a solid reliable
system that I can draw designs from. Can anyone help me with this???
Thanks,
John W6ZIP
Victorville, Ca.