[TowerTalk] ARRL and LOTW

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ARRL and LOTW
From: kr1g@hotmail.com (ted demopoulos)
Date: Thu Aug 14 10:29:52 2003
Well, the ARRL is controlling LOTW just like I control my antenna farm - I
built it and its mine. They built LOTW, its theirs. Ahhh, make that ours -
the members - and I fully expect that we will benefit. And just as a rising
tide lifts all ships, it will help non-menbers as well that care to use it
(which will be free, most likely forever).

I have a few guests who operate my station and use my antenna farm, and
although perhaps abstractly it makes some sense I charge them some hourly,
contest, or QSO fee, of course I don't and never will. Instead I feed them
and make endless coffee . . .

I severely doubt the ARRL will EVER charge end users for LOTW - it just was
never part of the game plan. Unless I'm part of a big conspiracy too :)
Now charging CQ, or RSGB, or anyone else who wants to use LOTW for their
award program - that would certainly be acceptable and proper, and expected.
And also I expect that LOTW will eventually reduce the ARRLs operating
expenses as well, and perhaps even increase award revenue (although I'm
pretty sure the ARRL doesn't make any money on QSL bureaus, Awards, etc, it
would be fine with me if they did).

>I believe one of the major reasons they will not accept an E-QSL or another
>eletronic QSL is because they want the control and the profit that goes
>with it.  They
>may not be charging initially but they will in time.

Sorry, but this is just silly. No offense intended.

73
Ted KT1V

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>