[TowerTalk] ma 550 windload vs. Mast Height

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ma 550 windload vs. Mast Height
From: (Michael Hatzakis, Jr)
Date: Tue Aug 19 10:15:22 2003
I would also like to hear more about this, although I recall a thread on this
matter a little while back.
I've got my steppir at 65' and dipole at 75.  I do worry about the derating,
but keep it cranked down as much as possible.  The dipole load at 75 feet is
small, 1 sqr foot.  But the steppir at 65 is not insignif, I think 6 sqr foot
of antenna.

Jim Jarvis <> wrote:

US Tower rates the MA550 based on windload present
1' above the top of the tower. Windload derating is
necessary, as mast height is added above the tower

Are there any structural guys on this reflector who would care to
wade into analysis on what happens if the load is 5' or 10'
above the top of the tower?

Jim N2EA

See: for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless Weather
Stations", and lot's more. Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any questions
and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.

TowerTalk mailing list

Michael Hatzakis, Jr MD
Physiatrist, Treating Individuals with Neuromuscular Disabilities
Consultant, Information Technology Based Health Care Solutions

Do you Yahoo!?