Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BBC report on bird kills at towers
From: Dave Hachadorian <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:04:49 +0000
The Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas has a bright light shining
skyward at the top.

The light attracts bugs, and the bugs attract huge
swarms of birds, circling around in the light beam
to catch the bugs. It's a sight I'll never forget,
and it's pretty well documented. Google luxor light birds.

Throw a tower and some guy wires into that mix, and I can
imagine a bunch of wrecked birds.

So my two-bit theory is:
lights-->bugs-->birds + guyed tower = some dead birds.

But, ham towers don't have lights.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.