[TowerTalk] MOV's

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MOV's
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:52:55 -0000

>looks like every other decent  MOV protection device... but buried in some
>sand-like material to squelch the flames , when the MOVs go byebye....>

>we all need to remember that MOVs wear out..with surges..and when do we
>know they are no longer providing protection ?????

In deep, dark history, I did some characterization work with MOV's.  They
tend to fail with accumulated energy.  Polarity matters.   The ones I played
with could take 4 or 5 shots in one direction....and 4 or 5 with the other
polarity....but 6 or more in any one direction, and it was all over.
Their damage threshholds progressively diminished with energy, as well.
That was then.  This is now.

What's the state of the art?

Far as I know, there's no way to tell if your
MOV's have life left in 'em...or when they're dead, for that matter.

Jim/N2EA