Re: [TowerTalk] Coax shield grounding

To: n4zr@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax shield grounding
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 08:14:20 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/03 6:53:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> What's the best way to ground coax shields at the top and bottom of my
>  tower?  I have seen the ICE model 360 and 380 blocks, but these seem to
>  involve piercing and re-waterproofing of the coax jackets at each
grounding
>  block.  It would be possible to put on connectors and bracket barrel
>  connectors to the tower leg, but I hesitate to add more connectors.
Opinions?

    All commercial coax runs are grounded by removing some of the outer
jacket and installing a compression ground clamp (Andrew, Polyphaser, etc.) on
the
shield. The whole thing is weatherproofed and the ground wire sticking out is
attached to the tower.

    Commercial specs call for cable grounding down the tower every 100' and
at the bottom where it turns horizontal to go into the building.

    There's no problem with more connectors inline - the insertion loss is
insignificant. The biggest potential problem is poor weatherproofing. A couple
layers of tape, a layer of butyl rubber vapor wrap, more layers of tape, and
you're good to go with a commercial, bombproof joint.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -