[TowerTalk] Grounding a bracketed tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding a bracketed tower
From: "Mack McLaughlin" <k4mir@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:30:40 -0400
I have a bracketed 25G tower and need to install a ground system.  I
have read over a years worth of grounding advice and will install a SPG
system.

A question I have however is how to best run ground radials from the
tower?  With two of the tower legs a couple of feet away and facing the
house the house and only the third facing away from the house, how do I
run an effective ground system?  Can I run a length of ground wire with
rods every few feet around the house coming off the third leg?    I
understand that normally on a guyed tower which is not near a structure,
you would run radials from each leg.

Most of the info I have reviewed (over a year's worth) concern guyed
towers that are a good distance away from the house.  I did not have
that option, so this is the only way I can have a tower.  Now I want to
install a good lightening protection system.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, as always.

73

Mack