Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum mast again

To: stetrekve@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aluminum mast again
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:42:36 EDT
You can buy the MARC program from Champion Radio for $10 and it will
calculate this for you even suggesting the type of mast material.  They will
email the
program to you.  It would be $10 will spent.

I used a 1 1/2 inch 6061 with 1/4 wall and it seemed very "whippy" to me.  It
is also not that light and is expensive.  24 feet cost me $250.  2" would be
even more expensive by a big margin.  I had to use 1 1/2 because I mounted to
a chimney and that was as big as the brackets would handle.    Unfortuantely
the MARC program does not calculate for 1 1/2 inch mast so I had to guess and I
underestimated.

To get rid of the whip, I strengthened it with a piece of 2" steel fence pipe
slipped (forced) over the outside for that part that was above the chimney
brackets.  That stiffened it up quite a bit but added to the weight.

I believe it would have been better to have used a 2" mast of thinner wall
and stronger material to start with.  2 inch 6061 with a 1/4 inch wall is going
to be heavier than you think.  I guess someone on here will do the math and
tell you the weight.  I doubt if it will be much less than 98 pounds.

I am sure it will be stiffer than my 1 1/2 inch but 16 feet above the tower I
bet it turns into a tuning fork.

Radio k4ia
Craig"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA