[TowerTalk] Tower mounted power amplifier

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower mounted power amplifier
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@medinaec.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 12:44:39 -0500
I received a lot more off-reflector "thank you" replies than criticisms.
But there were also both off-reflector and on-reflector comments
questioning my intent.

Let me do one last posting to the reflector, combining some
of my off-line comments into something a little more responsive
to the "criticisms".

1)  I don't mind re-visiting discussions if there is some new content
or insight.  If you have something to say that you feel will benefit
others then please post it.  Just make sure it is relevant to antennas
and towers.

2)  I do want to keep the discussions limited to those appropriate
to the charter of the reflector.  As discussions progress to
ad nauseum limits the true gurus tend to get bored and unsubscribe
from the reflector.  At the limit you end up with the blind leading
the blind.  That hasn't happened here yet, although there are some
prominent experts who no longer post here.   I am just trying to
keep from driving away the remaining experts.

3)  I do mind that people don't first check the archives to see if
their question has already been answered.   This is not only just
a common courtesy but also a way of getting more insight into
a question.  Many of the original posters will not bother with
reposting their original comments so if you want to see a more
detailed discussion then search for the topic in the archives first.

4)  I don't mind helping someone out by scanning a manual for
someone IF they have done due diligence and searched the
various manual archives, or at least called the manufacturer for one.
To ask someone else to do all of your work is just someone
admitting he is too lazy to do anything on his own and that he
needs to be spoon fed with the information.

5)  This specific power discussion is not rocket science nor pushing
the limits of theoretical physics.  The law of conservation of energy
still applies.

What it is, is an attempt to be creative with the interpretations of
the rules so one can feel justified in not obeying those very rules.
This is NOT a technical discussion but rather a discussion by wanabe
lawyers who are trying to find a way to rationalize that the rules don't
apply to them.  Hey, if you want to run gas--then just do it.

And this is about a society that thinks the rules don't apply to them
and there must be some way to get around them.  There IS--
just break the rules and stop trying to fool yourself that somehow
you are so clever that the rules don't apply to you.

South Dakota Congressman Bill Janklow didn't think the speed
limit applied to him and he kept breaking it.  And now he has killed
a motorcyclist after going so fast he could not stop for a stop sign.
Everyone's morality is a personal thing.  Don't waste my time
trying to rationalize something that is illegal.  Just do it on your
own and accept the consequences.

If you truly want to talk about the technical issues of tower-mounted
amplifiers then ask relevant questions or reply with insightful answers.
It is a valid topic in my opinion and is interesting to me at least.

John W0UN