[TowerTalk] measuring power, reference planes, and all that

To: Towertalk <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] measuring power, reference planes, and all that
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:41:47 -0700
There's been a lot of real interesting discussion here, both on and off list. My questions about measuring power have a real basis in the context of fairly sophisticated phased array designs where the amplifiers are used to supply reactive power instead of using passive L or C. It's not that I want to skirt the rules and run megaQRO with specsmanship and creative rule reading... but neither do I want to artifically restrict the power available.

Rather than burden all you readers with a lengthy post of the background and what I'm trying to do, I've written it up, in the context of our recent discussion, and posted it on a web page at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6rmk/active1.htm

Comments, flames, questions, etc. are all gratefully accepted. (Well, maybe I'm not grateful for the flames, but I read those too, because within the flame is often a good point that needs to be addressed.)

Jim, W6RMK