Re: [TowerTalk] draft letter in support of tower permit...

To: "Tim Makins, EI8IC" <contesting@eircom.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] draft letter in support of tower permit...
From: WD0M <wd0m@pagosa.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:09:53 -0600
I submitted an application to the local HOA prior to purchasing a home - I used the term "antenna support structure". Very successfully. I applied for a 35 foot tower (oops, structure), and also asked them to consider a 55 foot option that was retractable "when not in use". It worked. They granted me the 55 foot option. The letter I submitted ( less attachments) follows:

********

The owner of the home at 400 Scenic Avenue and I have signed a contract for the sale, contingent upon the PLPOA approving my installing an amateur radio antenna, thereby allowing us to complete the purchase. I am encouraged that there are approved amateur radio structures at homes within the PLPOA. See representative photographs (Attachment 1).

The installation I propose will be modest (compared to the extreme), but comparable to those shown in the photographs. The antenna elements I propose to install, manufactured by "SteppIR", are made of fiberglass and the color is a medium shade of green. I propose A) two options for the antenna support structure, and B) two locations as noted on a copy of the ILC (Attachment 2) and request a favorable decision on one or both of the following:

Proposed Support Structure

A.) A fixed structure 45 feet tall. I understand that the building envelope provides for a 35 foot maximum height for structures, and would be happy to comply if not to do so would otherwise require a variance, although several installations I've seen within the PLPOA area are taller, one significantly taller.

B.) A structure no taller than 55 feet that is also retractable to a height of less than 25 feet when not in use.

Proposed Location

A.) To screen the structure from view, I propose installing the antenna support in an area to the north of the home, located within the group of trees indicated on the photographs of the lot (Attachment 3).

B.) If the structure must be attached to the home, then I propose doing so in the location in the accompanying photo (Attachment 4) showing where the structure would be situated on the rear (southeast corner) of the home.

I have been licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for 42 years, and hold the highest level license offered by the FCC, after having passed a rigorous examination covering the technical and regulatory aspects of radio and electronics theory and practice.

Amateur radio operators provide backup and emergency communications to the communities in which they reside, as well as providing personal enjoyment (Attachment 5). I have been involved in providing emergency communications in times of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and traffic accidents which resulted in saving others' lives and property. I hope to continue this service in my new home in Pagosa Springs.

I appreciate the PLPOA's review of my request and look forward to completing the purchase of the home located at 400 Scenic Avenue. I request a favorable decision. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Joe Hannigan Colonel, USAF (Ret) FCC License: WD0M

*********
73,
Joe WD0M