Re: [TowerTalk] Brake click on HAM IV rotor

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Brake click on HAM IV rotor
From: K4BEV@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:41:09 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/03 2:36:53 PM Central Daylight Time, va3pl@cuic.ca
writes:

> Sometime when pressing brake release it emits 60Hz hum. Any cure for that?

My Ham IV clicks and clacks too. Always has. I believe that it's just the
nature of the beast.
Mine used to hum too - over the air if I was transmitting while turning the
antenna - Not Cool. I finally took the advice I'd been reading here on TT and
ran each individual piece of equipment to a single ground point. Haven't had
any hum since.
I bought a box of 14-2 with ground (regular, solid conductor, house wiring)
and made the ground wires out of pieces of it, with all three wires tied
together. These replaced the #14 stranded wire that I had been using. This
cleared
up ALL of the RFI problems that I was having. A Very pleasant surprise.
No doubt there are better and faster ways to do this. I soldered all 3 wires
together and then crimped and soldered a ring terminal to connect to the
equipment. This may be over-kill, but its cheap, readily available, and works
(for
me).

73, Don - K4BEV