RE: [TowerTalk] radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] radials
From: Mike <nasfred@1bigred.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:27:10 -0400
Something to try for roof mounted vertical is to staple aluminum foil to the roof rafters in the attic and then tie it to vertical's radial system .

At 03:30 PM 9/2/03 -0700, Steven Gehring wrote:
Since your Hustler vertical is above ground and roof mounted, I would
install at least one individually cut and tuned 1/4 wavelength radial for
each band of operation.  Four or more would be better.  This advice
especially holds true for the higher bands, like 20, 17, 15, and 10M.  On 40
and 75, the height of the antenna above ground is pretty low, so tuned 1/4
wavelength radials aren't as necessary in my book (especially on 75/80M).
Just put down as much wire as you can for decent 40 and 75 meter operation.
I know it's a lot of wire, but if you want it to play well then this is the
route to take.  If it was ground mounted (like mine), I wouldn't worry too
much about lengths, and just put down as much copper as possible (especially
near the base of the vert).  By the way, several articles have been written
on tuned, above ground, radial systems.  Search the internet and magazines,
like QST, for the articles and advice.

73,

Steve Gehring, KZ9G
Bothell, WA