[TowerTalk] Urban verticals and dipoles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Urban verticals and dipoles
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:17:40 +0000
I operate with a Gap Titan vertical and an open wire center fed flattop. I'm on a small city lot (100' x 50') with the ususal clutter: aluminum siding, power lines etc. I put the vertical up on a 15' pipe to get it up a bit. It's feedpoint is about 15' above its base so it's almost 30' high (40' total) and does a pretty good job of clearing a lot of the obstructions which I think is especially important on the higher HF bands.

The flattop is about 30' high so a lot of the RF goes straight up. Even so it way outperforms the vertical in most of North America on 40 meters. The vertical shows an edge beyond 2 or 3 thousand miles. Not sure about the higher bands because the times I get to operate are usually when they aren't open. I don't even use the vertical anymore on 75 but the Gap Titan was never known for being a great 75 m. antenna anyway. The horizontal wire picks up about 5 S units less noise on the low HF bands also.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ

Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963