[TowerTalk] Galvanizing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Galvanizing
From: "Mike Gilmer - N2MG" <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:43:18 -0700 (PDT)
> ... they charge by the weight of what you're
> galvanizing (which makes no sense to me.. I would
> have thought they charge by the mass of the zinc,
> or something

The weight of YOUR material is the easist thing to
measure.  So it ends up cheaper to galvanize a tube,
even though it has more surface area (and takes more
zinc) than an equivalent solid (heavier) rod. ;-)

Note that the 2 galvanizers I have dealt with charge
about another $0.05 a pound to strip the old zinc
(this added another day or so to the turnaround time),
but they said they would/could not take off old
paint.  Keep that in mind if you decide to paint, or
buy a painted, tower.  It's pretty time consuming
trying to get paint off something like a tower section.

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com