RE: [TowerTalk] Pulley Recommendations?

Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Pulley Recommendations?
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayinterests.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 22:08:31 -0500
I just had a tree climber put up a number of pulleys, screw-eyes,
and 3/16" black dacron rope into several pine trees at my future
QTH.  The pulleys are about 70-75' up.  I found some 12" long
3/8" screw-eyes at Home Depot.  I recommend that you get long
screw-eyes and have the climber screw them in only up to the end
of the threads.  This leaves plenty of room for the tree to grow
..... and it will surely grow and grow out around the screw-eye
as the years go by.  If you put the eye in too close to the trunk
the whole thing will disappear (into the tree) in a few years.

As for pulleys, you should definitely get some that have swivels.
The Wireman has some that might work, but I ended up finding some
nice ones at a local hardware store.  They are very well made and
have a wheel that is about an inch in diameter.  The gap between
the wheel and the side of the housing is minimal ..... the rope
will never have a chance to bind.  They also have a heafty 400#
breaking strength.  This is probably overkill, but they are nice
pulleys and only cost about $5.50 each.  I also saw some good
ones at Home Depot but on the day I was there they only had three
in stock, and I needed more than that.

If you use good wire, and tension one end of the antenna with a
weight on the end of the rope your antenna should stay up for a
long long time.