[TowerTalk] Basement entry

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Basement entry
From: Bgsalesmel@cs.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:53:44 EDT
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Running coax into the basement

How are people getting their coax into the shack in
the basement ?? i was thinking of using 4" pvc pipe
with a cap on the outside with holes drilled for coax
and sealing around each coax run with rtv when i put
them in ....

thanks

Dan N8DCJ
snip>>>>>

Dan,
Do you have daylight windows and is one of them in your operating area?

I did. After cross connecting all my grounds: Tower base, Cable TV, Elec
service, phone to a SPG outside this window - I removed the entire window assy
from it's frame. This is in a "dry well" formed by heavy galv steel arch
outside
the basement wall. Then I made a full size plywood replacement panel, using 1"
wood strips outside to "match" the sill to interior ledge depth with some
light wt. aluminum channel and long machine screws with wing nuts and fender
washers providing the "hold in place" force. I then sawed 2 holes equally
spaced
in this for 3" PVC. Using a 45 deg ell on both sides, looking down and a "short
nipple" between them, I then installed these and just used the force of the
setting cement to hold them in place. The entire panel was given 3 coats of
Varathene. Each PVC entry was caulked both sides as was the entire edge of the
panel once in place. The ells were stuffed with insulation and duct taped on
the
outside - a natural drip loop was formed when making entry within the dry
well. The dry well is protected by a "close" overhang of the upper floor / wall
edge. No bugs, no water since the install 3 years ago.

I use one for my coax and rotor cables and the other PVC for my balanced line
alone. I also drilled a 1/4" hole down low on the panel and ran a short #4
solid gnd wire to my station ground bar mounted just under this entry window -
2" x 24" x 1/4" alum bar drilled for PL259 barrel connectors which became my
disconnect point for all feeds to the radios themselves. There are arrestors
on the coax and bal line outside on the SPG as well. Grounding plugs or straps
are used when disconnected - completing the path to gnd for center conductors
and rotor wiring.

Hope this helps.

73, de Mel
KD7DCR