Re: [TowerTalk] Zoning again

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <wf3h@ptdprolog.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Zoning again
From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:17:15 -0400
Although I'm not a lawyer, I've had some experience in this area.

Although my case (Marchand v. Hudson) is not binding outside New Hampshire,
it is a state Supreme Court case and carries considerable weight in other
states. You have two things going on your side. First PRB-1 requires them to
reasonably accommodate your needs. Second the $750 sounds a bit excessive.
There ARE limits on the permit fees or the fees necessary to get your
accommodation from the town. For example, they can't charge a $100 fee for a
permit to put up a $100 dish. You could probably spend a few thousand
dollars in legal fees to avoid the $750 fee, but not the hearing.

Check out Fred Hopengarten's book first. Fred knows his stuff. I've
personally known him for many years. It's a very good place to start.

If they allow a mechanism for exceeding the 30 foot limit, then they are not
setting an absolute limit anyway. Actually there might be grounds to deny
you the tower. Do you live VERY CLOSE to an airport? Like right off the end
of a precision instrument runway? Get the picture? I suspect these reasons
aren't applicable in your case.

As you probably read in PRB-1, they are only allowed to regulate for health,
safety, and the general welfare of the community. You probably have a good
case for your 48 foot tower. There's lots of good case law on the ARRL site
but I'd definitely recommend a lawyer. I didn't have one up front and that
was a mistake on my part. It worked out in the end, but that's $25K in legal
fees (even with one of my attorneys pro bono) later. On top of it, I wasn't
fighting the town. They were on my side for the most part. I bet that for a
few hundred or maybe $1000 bucks (probably on top of the $750 fee) you'll
have a winner. The trick is to find a zoning lawyer that knows tower law.

Good luck and 73,

Jerry, K0TV