Re: [TowerTalk] Problem: J/J Turnbuckles & Rohn Equalizer Plates

To: Bill Cotter <n4alg@qx.net>, Towertalk <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Problem: J/J Turnbuckles & Rohn Equalizer Plates
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:31:26 -0400
is the jaw wide enough to contain both of the eq plates? i.e. use the jaw's pin at the location on the locator plate... jaw may not be deep enough but you tell me...

always best to avoid an extra piece, if possible, in the load path.

another option is to buy one ned only from your turnbuckle supplier.

the one near where i live does supply for marine work and when you buy a turnbuckle the assemble a body and then the two ends you chose (watch the threading if you swap out, one end is cw the other ccw!)

if you do swap out the ends, make sure you change the end with the normal cw threading so that you can use the leftover ends in another project simply by putting routine nuts on them (no ccw!!!!)

you know those pieces you throw away on a commercial ubolt - the flat plate that the two legs pass through... something like that in appearance (a hole at each end) but larger and stronger could work - if you have access to a shop that could produce so big ole thick pieces with a hole at each end that would be one way.... only question is is it strong enough....

otherwise, i agree you need something to convert that eq plate bolt into a opportunity for the jaw... and.... like you said, it should be something like a heat treated link (Crosby makes a lot of this stuff)

if you are dealing with a vendor for these, explain your overall situation and who knows they might be able to help you with an end swap or trade part for this situation...

GL,

Jim, K4OJ

Bill Cotter wrote:

Folks,

I have a minor problem I'm trying to figure out, and thought one of you may have run across a solution or have some suggestions.

I have 12ea 1/2" forged jaw-jaw Rohn turnbuckles that I want to use with my 120ft Rohn-45 installation. I will be using 1/4EHS for guys, and four position Rohn equalizer plates.

The problem is the interface between the turnbuckle jaw and the two parallel equalizer plates. The jaw with its hex-headed pin doesn't lay flat between the two plates as would a turnbuckle with an eye. If I had eye-jaw or eye-eye turnbuckles, I wouldn't have this mismatch.

As a solution, I was thinking that I might find some STRONG forged links (ie 3/8" or so) and use them between the EQ-plate bolts and the TB jaw. This would place the jaw outside the parallel plates.

Does anyone know a source for strong links (ie 10-20klbs)? Ideas?

73 bill n4alg

Bill Cotter, N4ALG             E-mail: n4alg@qx.net
173 Carolyn Lane               Home: (859) 887-5563
Nicholasville, KY 40356-9340   Work: (859) 323-6474

ARRL   ARCI #9878   QRPl #1646   QCWA #29393   FISTS #4535