Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators
From: "utahfolk" <utahfolk@xmission.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:56:46 +0100
The phenomena is well understood ... by a few.   The major cause of damage
from
lightning is due to acoustics.  (a/k/a ... thunder).   In this case the
insulators have
suffered environmental fissures/cracks and along comes a strike that arcs
across the insulators ... some of that arc finds its way along the internal
cracks
and the resulting internal acoustical pressure is HUGE ... and POW, the
insulator is fragmented.
That simple.    de dave w7fb