Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodics for 40 through 10?

To: Jim Spears <n1nk@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodics for 40 through 10?
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:00:41 -0700
This is a very familiar story.  We had the same military LP at the
former Rockwell plant on Miraloma in Anaheim.  Great ham and MARS
station.  Boeing bought out Rockwell and sold several buildings (the
Fry's store in Anaheim is located in a former Rockwell building) and
also sold the Rec Center where the Ham/MARS station was located.  We
tried to find someone to give the 30 something foot long LP and tower
to but it was just too big for anyone to be able to haul off.  When
the contractor came in and dug up the Olympic sized swimming pool, the
9 hole golf course, all the ball and soccer fields along with all the
buildings the LP and tower were cut up for scrap.  What a shame and
waste.
The other LP you may be thinking of is along the 55 Freeway near the
Orange County Fairgrounds.  I believe it belongs to an Army or Air
Force reserve unit.
73

Jim Spears wrote:

> actually the log periodic at Hughes Fullerton was the Collins military one.
> big monster.  huge tower with rotating mast and the rotator was inside the
> penthouse at the bottom.  so it was something like 75' above a pretty good
> sized 2 story building.  the location was on a down slope heading out over
> Orange County toward the southwest and on an upslope heading toward EU.
> antenna played very well on 40 (at the time there were not many large 40
> meter antennas on the west coast), pretty well on 20 especially in the
> mornings when the long path to middle east was in (due to location), and
> progressively less well on 15 and 10.  short path to EU was always a problem
> due to the hill to the north.
>
> the thing must have been 70 feet long or more.  boom was a triangular
> structure resembling Rohn 25.  it was BIG.
>
> The antenna was originally installed during the Vietnam War to support MARS
> traffic to SE Asia.  K6QEH, the club station, was an active MARS participant
> during that time.
>
> Many contests were run from there by various combinations of (calls of the
> time) N6AW, AB6R, NC6U, NN6U, and many others.
>
> Biggest problem of all with contesting was that the trip to the head took
> one halfway across the building roof, down the stairs, and partway back down
> a hall way to the head.  not many creature comforts.
>
> Hughes Aircraft supported the club quite generously and we had a very active
> membership.  Field Day was a major undertaking and a successful one for us.
>
> Raytheon purchased Hughes several years ago and eventually closed the plant,
> moving jobs (including mine) to Portsmouth RI.  The facility was sold, the
> buildings demolished, and there is now a Target type center in place.  It
> took a fairly major crane to dismantle the antenna/tower as I understand it.
>
> Similar antennas exist in other locations.  There is (or was) one in Orange
> County at either a Rockwell or Army Reserve site, visible from the freeway.
>
> Jim Spears    N1NK
> x AB6R
> former member Hughes Fullerton Amateur Radio Club and many time user of the
> station.  what better thing to do before work than work 40 meter long path
> from a dominating station...

                                     Alan Zack
                     Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
                         Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
          Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
                               SEMPER PARATUS