Re: [TowerTalk] Raising TV mast

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raising TV mast
From: Fred Roberts <w6tkv@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:38:29 -0800
Rod-

Our local club has used "top rail", made for fences.  You are probably
familiar with a chain link fence - the bar running across the top of the
fence is called "top rail".  Residential fences use something like
1-1/2" top rail, but this stuff is also available in up to 3" diameter
and in 22-ft and 24-ft lengths.  We put up a 40-ft (2 nested section)
mast for Field Day each year - and we guy it near the top of each
section.  This stuff is galvanized - much heavier and much more durable
than RS TV mast material.  As I recall it was $22-25 per length.

Years ago, I raised a 40' mast of RS sections, but had a gabby,
inattentive guy on one of the guy lines which resulted in a bent section
and putting up a 30' mast instead.  By the way, with the RS stuff, I
think 30' is about as high as I would go.

Hope this helps.

73-
Fred, W6TKV