RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR ( was Hy-Gain quality since MFJ tookcontrol?)

To: <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR ( was Hy-Gain quality since MFJ tookcontrol?)
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:52:16 -0800
> >>I wouldn't buy a Steppir.  Moving parts outdoors, out of reach, make
> me nervous.  Just think how much more could go wrong.
> Barry W2UP

Having just put up a Steppir and run it thru
CQWW and SS, I would never go back to a
conventional antenna.  One feature alone
makes it worthwhile.  I can reverse direction
180 degrees in a few seconds.  In CQWW, this
allows me to switch between Asia and S. America
at will.  In CQ SS, it allows me to work
San Francisco area stations who call me off
the back of the beam without losing time rotating
the beam or getting fills because I can't copy
well, etc.  (I am 70 miles east of SF).  BTW,
I probably could NOT copy these stations well on
some auxiliary vertical omni antenna.  Too far
away on ground wave for that, and cross polarized.

I bought the 4 year warranty, so if the motors
break, I'm covered.  It's on a Hazer, so repair
is an easy job.

Plus, the customer service is great.

Rick N6RK