RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR/ HyGain/ MFJ

To: "'Jim Jarvis'" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>,"'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] SteppIR/ HyGain/ MFJ
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:35:59 -0500

> W2UP's reluctance to adopt the new technology notwithstanding,
> I had my 3 el SteppIR up through last winter in Vermont.  Snow,
> Ice, -20F.  Performed flawlessly.  My rotor failed,though, and
> the 180degree flip mode allowed me to work without one for most
> situations.

My concern would be for the wind survivability of the collapsible
fiberglass tubes in the wind and high UV in Florida.  With that
concern I'll wait until the antennas have several years of full-
time exposure to the elements in a similar environment.

> Now that we've moved, mine is waiting for a tower.  But one of the
> bigger questions is.... 4 el or a stack of 3's?

A "no brainer" ... a stack of 4's (the lower one rotates around
a tower better <G>).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK