[TowerTalk] Re: SteppIR SmallIR vertical review

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: SteppIR SmallIR vertical review
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:44:39 +0000
2 points, having read the SmallIR vertical review in QST:

1. I'm disappointed in the way that the reviewer installed the antenna. I don't see how a base fed ground mounted (feed point only a few inches off the ground) 1/4 w. vertical can perform very well on 6 and 10 meters. I would have preferred a review of the antenna with the feedpoint elevated somewhat. The author said he worked everything he heard. There is more than one way to take that.

2. This I expect also applies to the other Fluidmotion antennas: The review and others have described the fiberglass tubes the metal strip moves in and out of, as telescoping tubes with smaller diam. tubes fitting inside larger ones. It seems to me that means inside the tube there must be ridges where the small diam. tube snugs inside the larger one it mates to at the point where they fit together, one inside the other. I would like to know what had been done to prevent the metal tape from bumping up against that ridge and getting hung up on it when the motor is pushing it out through the tube. I picture one of the tapes spooling up inside the tube instead of going straight out. Perhaps the inside tubes have been filed down to make a smooth transition to the smaller diameters.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)