Re: [TowerTalk] Taping trap caps - good or bad practice?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Taping trap caps - good or bad practice?
From: Jim Smith <>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:03:02 -0800
Seems to me that he later recanted but not sure. As this question keeps cropping up, could someone with the appropriate equipment and expertise measure a few traps they have lying around both with and without tape to see what effect there might be and let us know? A certain W8 comes to mind but there must be many others who could do this.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

William G. McDowell wrote:

Several years ago there was a thread about this subject and I believe the consensus then was taping the caps upset the capacitance of the trap enough to detune it. Think this came from the chief engineer at Hy-Gain, Roger, WD0??? or Joe, W1JR.

Not recommended.

Bill, K4CIA