RE: [TowerTalk] root of guy wire?

To: <>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] root of guy wire?
From: "Dale L Martin" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:10:32 -0600
Maybe this?

\Guy\, n. [Sp. guia guide, a guy or small rope used on board
of ships to keep weighty things in their places; of Teutonic
origin, and the same word as E. guide. See {Guide}, and cf.

>From my old American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (1973)

To fasten, guide, or hold with a guy. (Probably from Low German, akin to
Dutch gei (of obscure origin)]

dale, kg5u
> Subject: [TowerTalk] root of guy wire?
> This may sound strange but, what is the root of the term guy wire
> or just singly "guy" as a support.  Where did it originate from?

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.