Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection

To: K4FJ@aol.com, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:16:41 -0600
Hi, Steve;

You are on the right track. In addition to Polyphaser, read ICE's application notes.

Remember, no surge suppresser completely eliminates surges; they ATTENUATE. In addition, surges are induced into any wiring downstream of the protector.

A good system has three surge suppressers: one at the power company's transformer, one in the home distribution box, and one at the equipment. The power company will take care of their equipment. You should install one (have it installed by knowledgeable professional, but you look over his shoulder, since many professionals are out of their element) in your home distribution box and another at the station. The one in the station should be grounded to the single point station ground panel, as well as to the home safety ground. Test to assure that the home wiring and safety ground are sound, with one of the three light testers that electricians use. All grounds, including tower, feedine suppressers, telephone, and power system should be tied together, independently of the safety ground wire, which is often lengthy (spelled inductor) and susceptible to open circuit that you never detect as long as all equipment is safe.

Don't forget to put surge protection into any phone line, especially one that connects to your station in any way, like through a computer or phone patch. The phone company provides one. An ICE distribution box unit includes connections for phone and coax (cable, TV, etc.). Put another at the station; it may be part of the power suppresser you use.

Don't go cheap; get specifications on the capability of each part of the units and buy high performance.

I live on top of a ridge where the storms put on quite a show, and I lost several phone modems prior to installing the extra suppressers. I've lost no more in the few years since.

Good luck, and I hope you find your books.

73 de WOØW

K4FJ@aol.com wrote:

I am looking for a good authoritative source on surge protection. I found my 2000 Handbook to be a great disappointment. My QST and CQ are boxed following a move but I can get to them if there is something there. I do have an older Polyphaser book (2nd edition, I think) that I hope to find soon. Am I on the right track?

73, Steve