Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection

To: Pete Smith <>,Towertalk <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection
From: WD0M <>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:53:51 -0700
I'm interested in the Tripp Lite surge protector system (and may still buy one or two), but I notice that the warranty is only for an "AC power transient". Not sure if a lightning strike would constitute an AC power transient according to Tripp Lite (does in my mind) but the unit does look like it is fairly capable.

At 05:15 AM 11/7/2003, Pete Smith wrote:
I bought a couple of very nice surges suppressor to replace ones that were damaged during our lightning strike in August. They are made by Tripp-Lite, cost around $35 from TigerDirect, and include 3 wall-wart outlets, 5 other outlets, and surge suppression for cable TV, Ethernet and phone, all in one unit. The specifics: Tripp Lite Protect It! 810Net Surge Suppressor

Tripp sats they will insure equipment connected through the unit that is damaged due to a surge, and will replace the unit if it is damaged by a surge; since most of what was damaged here was affected by induced voltage on the computer network, phone wiring and TC cable, I think this makes a very good investment.

73, Pete N4ZR