[TowerTalk] critters 'n cable

To: "Towertalk" <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] critters 'n cable
From: "Jim Jarvis" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:19:41 -0000

Make up a nice, solid DC supply, with low AC/RF noise on it...
and couple it to the ground of your coax.  About 1KV @ 20mA
would do the trick, I think.  You'll need to play phantom/
decoupling games at the tx end, and possibly at the antenna
end, depending on your insulation situation.

Anything less, and the critters won't be disuaded.  I basically
discarded 500' of 9913 after a season because of them.  Made 9
splices, removing damaged sections....then found the little
hibernating critters had done in several more in the spring.

I gave up.

Course, you could always put the coax in a garden hose.  That's
easily sacrificial.

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.