Re: [TowerTalk] tristao specs

To: FireBrick <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tristao specs
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:26:16 -0800
Bill, I have a Tristao 55-foot crankup tower I bought used in 1970. This tower has 23-inch wide base legs and does have a pull-down cable that winds on the same drum as the hoist cable.

This tower has been up now all these years and is absolutely solid, rust-free and reliable. I have the original Tristao manual somewhere if it is really important to you.

During our infamous Santa Ana winds here, I frequently get gusts to 65 and occasionally to 85 MPH. The tower is always up and has never had a problem. Currently, it holds a Force 12 C3.

I actually talked to Lou Tristao once about this tower. He told me it was a special built using the bottom three sections of a four-section design and included a very heavy-duty winch with wormgear gearbox. It is possible the pull-down feature was special as well. Back then, it was possible to get these customizations easily.

I had a local professional tower installer replace the cables two years ago. When he climbed it (cranked down!), he said it was the most stable crankup tower he had ever been on. But, I built a new, much heavier base and used nine 1-inch bolts into the concrete....

FireBrick wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I suspected that my friend did not have exactly
correct info as I had a Tristao 55' back in 60/70's and didn't remember it
being that highly rated.
I also didn't remember seeing a positive pulldown feature being offered at
that time.

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, CA  (20 miles southeast of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)