Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:41:59 EST
In a message dated 11/14/03 6:19:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, writes: wrote:
In a message dated 11/14/03 9:50:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

> I went outside Wednesday evening to crank down my new
> U.S. Tower 55 ft. tower because of the high winds. It
> wouldn't crank down or up. Not an inch. I had
> previously lowered and raised it on several occasions
> without incident.

Does the motor turn? Can you turn the big belt-driven pulley by hand?
Will it turn by hand if you take the the belt off?

> No motor drive here. Just the standard manual winch.

    Okay - so no positive pull-down. Your tower is bound up somewhere. The
prognosis for getting it lowered is problematic and dangerous. The only thing I
can recommend is to get a boomtruck in there and tie some ropes to the top so
you can pull them to try to get the tower lowered. Sounds like it might be
stuck there permanently.

Steve     K7LXC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.