Re: [Towertalk] Connecting grounds to towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] Connecting grounds to towers
From: Pete Goudreau <goudpj@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:30:43 -0600
Phil - KB9CRY wrote:

<snip>

> No not really, just an industrial myth. Spec out CadWeld OneShots
from
> the www.erico.com website and order them from your local industrial
> electrical supply house (not Home Depot ). I had to buy a case of 12
> minimum and they cost me about $5.50 each. Now consider that price
for
> a maintenance free, weatherproof connection that can be buried
versus
> a $2.50 all brass/bronze ground clamp that you will have to
retighten
> at least four times a year (after every thermal cycling they will
> loosen up)...

Just a thought but using serrated stainless Bellville washers, over
stainless flat washers, should keep the clamp assembly tightly
assembled over an indefinite number of thermal cycles if properly
torqued.  This should allow for direct burial, I think.  It's
probably a wash on cost though.

I don't have any direct experience yet with this but is how I plan to
address the problem shortly, FWIW.  I'd appreciate any comments on
this idea.

Thanks,
Pete, AD5HD