Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-up won't crank
From: Colburn <>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 15:44:04 -0500
Mike Gilmer wrote:
I went outside Wednesday evening to crank down my new
U.S. Tower 55 ft. tower because of the high winds. It
wouldn't crank down or up. Not an inch. I had
previously lowered and raised it on several occasions
without incident.

I am no tower expert but if deemed safe, prior to forceably dragging the thing down, I'd see if I can get someone to hose every contact surface down with a penetrating lubricant spray. (If unsafe to climb then a bucket truck could provide the necessary access.)

If there is an apparent bend in the tower the bucket-person could try to pull the tower back into line. (Pulling a bit too far to straighten it and then allowing it to center itself may work as a long-term fix.)

The person on the bucket truck might also try rocking the thing very gently as I tried to lower it.

Just a thought ... prior to destroying the thing by dragging it down against a bend and/or absent appropriate lubrication.

Not-an-expert-just-guessing-ymmv ... 73, doc kd4e