Re: [TowerTalk] coax switches

To: <hdmc38@bellsouth.net>, "Mark Brown" <kb0pyo@direcway.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] coax switches
From: "G.E. Tucker" <gtucker@bostoneng.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:18:15 -0500
I'm also using the Alpha Delta in the shack (a bunch of them). Had them
about 2 1/2 years with no problems.

For a remote switch, I'm using the Ameritron RSC-8V, also with no problems
so far (since last June for one of them). It will switch 5 antennas to a
single coax feed back to the shack. However, I am using one of them on each
of my wire Yagis (tree supported) for 40M and 30M. The switch selects one or
the other of the 2 dipoles making up the Yagi, and disconnects both sides of
the 3/8 wavelength coax section to the other one (this makes that dipole
look longer, as a reflector). By default both the signal and ground of the
coax are switched, but you can solder a jumper on the PC board so it only
switches signal side. One advantage of this switch is it's easy on the
control cable; the return path can be up to 80 ohms and still work. I'm
using about 400 feet of Cat 5e data cable (pairs of #24) running out in the
woods; you can get 500 or 1000ft 'pull packs' of this at e.g. Home Depot at
a modest price, or maybe find it surplus or throw away somewhere.

73 George W5VU