Can't push on a rope? was [TowerTalk] Putting a pull rope in conduit.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Can't push on a rope? was [TowerTalk] Putting a pull rope in conduit.
From: "Mike Gilmer - N2MG" <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 05:34:07 -0800 (PST)
Recently, while (re)building several used Hygain
204/105 antennas, I realized I had forgotten the
requisite "rope in the elements" in one antenna.  I
removed an element end cap, stuffing the first few
inches of the (approx 3-foot long) dampening rope
into the element tip.  Then I used my air compressor
with (what I call) a "blow gun" attachment to shoot
air into the end of the element.  When the remaining
rope is held correctly, and the air aimed just right,
the rope would be whisked out of my hand into the
element with such force that I could have easily lost
it inside the tubing.

As an experiment, I tried this on a Cushcraft 15-4CD,
(as you know these have a different element-to-boom
arrangement than the Hygains) and the rope was ejected
out the other side of the antenna!

Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com