Re: [TowerTalk] Copper

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:22:07 -0600
>I picked up a strip of six inch wide, very thick copper flashing,
>fifteen feet long from my local scrap dealer for $12.

Well, okay.  Thanks Bill (and boy were you loud in the SS).

So, how overkill is all that PolyPhaser reading I've been doing?  Seems like
15' wouldn't go very far in their scenario - what with 3 radials per tower,
each with several ground rods over many feet, etc.

Did you snip it into little strips?  :)

Light(e)ning Gurus:

1. Am I being too ambitious?  I was going to put one ground rod on each
tower leg on each tower, and maybe 4 back at the SPG, running along the 50'
side of the radio shack.  On the shack side of the SPG I was going to
protect the amps and radios with ICE303s. (?)

2. Can I assume that if all the hardline shields on each tower are grounded
at the base to their tower, and they all come back to the SPG, that all the
towers are "tied together"?

3.  I'll probably still disconnect the rigs from time to time.  Should I let
them float or should I attach their coaxes to the SPG?

I've been reading all the lightning posts for years, but frankly, my eyes
are glazing over.  Now that I have to do it for myself, I'm a little
overwhelmed.  I keep thinking to myself "low impedance...low impedance...low
impedance."  Any really good rules of thumb or am I doomed?

Mark, N5OT