[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 56

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 11, Issue 56
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:01:49 -0500
What is so great about nonmetallic towers?
I seem to be missing something here. They will not stop lightning and I suspect that if they are hit.
And strong electric fields develop across any of the nonmetallic members the material may just
explode due to the internal stresses in the "dielectric" bonding material.
I can see lighting hitting the antenna and going down the feed-line and damaging the tower along the
way. Do they mention the dielectric strength of the tower or resistance. Is it non-conductive?

73
Bill wa4lav

The thread about nonmetallic towers prompted me to contact the folks at
IsoTruss.