[TowerTalk] Re: Horizontal + Vertical Polarization Question

To: "Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Horizontal + Vertical Polarization Question
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:17:28 -0800
> AA6E writes:
>
> It would be very interesting(!) if someone were to actually measure the
> incident polarization of typical skywave signals (actually, someone
> probably has.. the radio astronomy folks working at HF have to deal with
> nulling out interferers, etc., and I'm sure some one in the SW broadcast
> business has looked at this), particularly in terms of the short time
> statistics.

This was extensively investigated in the 1930's through the 1950's.  I
believe the BBC and British Defense engineering staffs did a lot of the work
since they of farflung empire "over which the F-layer never de-ionized"
needed reliable HF links over very long paths - like from London to
Auckland.  There were a number of reports and even books published on the
topic.  I suggest looking through the archives of the IRE for the
appropriate info.

73, Ward N0AX