Re: [TowerTalk] Nonconductive towers

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Nonconductive towers
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:02:28 EST
In a message dated 11/21/03 9:13:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, writes:

> Dave, What is the limiting factor on antennas on a wood pole and why can't
>  you stack antennas on them except VHF. Is it a geometry thing or does it
>  have to do with RF gain and interference. Obviously I'm not a novice. I'm
>  trying to learn about tower applications. If you don't want to spend the
>  time trying to explain, maybe you could suggest a web site, magazine or
>  I should check out.

    I think the biggest problem is the lack of suitable antenna/mast/rotator
mounting hardware. After all, wooden utility poles are loaded like crazy with
lots of crossarms, wires, transformers, etc. so some ham stuff wouldn't be a

    If you were so inclined, you could design a suitable fixture for the
array yourself and then get it built by a local fabricator or welding shop. I'd
probably opt for something that's one-piece to eliminate any potential

    A simple way to accomplish this whole thing is to use some 25 or 45G
hardware. Lots of configuration options and all you have to do is figure out
to attach it to the pole; one way would be to just drop the tower sections over
the top of the pole. Gary, NI6T, has such an arrangement in a big tree at his

Steve     K7LXC

and ask for Sherman, W2FLA.