[TowerTalk] Baluns and Ununs

To: Jerry <grf@uneedspeed.net>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Baluns and Ununs
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:52:38 -0600
Hi, Jerry and TTs;

The bandwidths, efficiencies, and impedance levels of BALUNs vary widely. You must know what you are doing in choosing one for a particular application. The wrong balun may not provide the match you expected, it may not cover the bands you expected, it may be inefficient; it may go up in smoke. BALUNs offered commercially or built according to many articles are not all suited for all applications.

One good source of information is, "Understanding, Building, and Using Baluns and Ununs" by Jerry Sevick, W2FMI. I have an edition copywrited in 2003 by CQ Communications, Inc. The author holds a Ph.D in applied physics from Harvard University and worked for AT&T Bell Labs. He has long experience with ham radio and has written several articles and books. This book offers some explanation of what baluns and ununs do and how to build them. A 4:1 baluns for matching 50 ohm coax to a 12.5 ohm tribander is quite easy and inexpensive to build. I think this is what the KT-34A requires; the book offers many other designs, one of which should fill the bill.

73 de WOØW

Jerry wrote:

I just obtained a used KT-34A because the price was right (free).  Looks
to be in great shape, but I'm still going to purchase the M2 rehab kit.
  The balun needs to be replaced however (broken).  M2 wants $119 for
the replacement while other 4:1 baluns can be purchased for considerably
less (in the $20-30 range).  Would this be a mistake?  Would I be buying
a problem or do I get what I'm paying for?  Anyone have any helpful tips?
Tnx
Jerry France
K7LY