Re: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole plans

To: "Ed Laughery" <laughery@bellsouth.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gin Pole plans
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 00:42:42 -0000
I use the bottom part of the mast from a commercial high band 2 way radio
antenna.  Don't know who makes them but the one I used had 4 (ea) 1/2 wave
folded dipoles attached to the mast and the mast was in two sections, the
bottom half is almost 20' long, 2" o.d. and 1/4" wall.  Super heavy duty
construction.  These antennas are usually found at hamfests for little more
than the price of taking them home as the dipoles are too short for 2
meters.

At the bottom of the pole I attached an aluminum plate with U bolts to the
mast and two hooks that drop over a horizontal step on the 25G tower.  The
width of the plate and spacing of the hooks is such that the hooks just fit
inside the legs of the 25G.  Then I found a piece of steel tube, about 3 or
4 feet long, that slid over the mast.  I attached another plate to the top
of this tube with hooks attached that will drop over the 3rd step up from
the bottom hooks.  This plate also has a couple of extra holes to allow me
to bolt this plate to the tower as I really don't want this plate to slip
off the tower.  The gist of the whole works is the weight of the gin
pole/antenna/whatever is supported by the bottom plate and hooks and the
pole is held against the tower by the upper plate and bolts.  The hooks on
this upper plate just hold the plate in position while I am bolting it to
the tower.  The steel tube that the upper plate is fastened to is long
enough so when I am moving the gin pole up the tower I can place the bottom
hooks on the desired step and the upper plate is within my reach (4 or 5
feet above the bottom hooks).

And I have a heavy duty screw eye at the top of the pole that I can attach
my block and tackle to for raising heavy stuff.  The biggest antenna I have
used this arrangement on weighed 80 pounds and was a bear, but it works.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A